Thursday, November 5, 2009

Technology (or lack there of) in area classrooms

During the week of October 19th-23rd, I went out into a Waterloo school for a week for my level three field experience. I was in a fifth grade classroom in a school that is located in a middle-upper class part of Waterloo, Iowa. I was excited to see what kind of technology was being used in the classroom there, and I was unfortunately unpleasantly surprised.. The fifth grade students only used computers for one thing, which was a typing software program that taught them how to correctly use their fingers for typing. The teacher used power points in the classroom as well, but it was used for students to see notes and copy what was written on the power point into their notebooks. After seeing this, I really wanted to work with the students using some kind of technology. I asked the teacher if I could create a webquest on learning about the newspaper. She didn't really like the idea due to the fact that she would have to continue using the webquest while I was not there, so she didn't use my idea. I felt that she was uncomfortable using technology with students and that is why she didn't want to try the webquest. I think that there are many teachers out there that feel the same way as this particular teacher does, and I think that this needs to be addressed and changed.

Other bloggers tend to agree with what I am talking about..The Evolution of Technology in Schools

1 comment:

Dr. Z said...

Thanks for sharing your experience at the school. Sometimes it is best to create something like a webquest or find one that suits your needs and then introduce it to the teacher. Asking someone who doesn't have the vision usually results in brick walls getting in the way.

Z